At Culver City Christian Counseling, premarital counseling not only incorporates secular evidence-based counseling methods but also principles based on the teachings of Jesus Christ through His word. The counselors at Culver City Christian Counseling are well equipped when it comes to professional counseling as well as counseling from a Christian view.
With a Christian perspective, your growth and development as a couple include not only the mind and body but also the spirit. We believe that spiritual concerns have a great impact on a person’s emotions and psyche. This also gives you and your partner the opportunity to see, understand and appreciate each other’s own expressions of faith and where you are in your relationship with Jesus. This is vital because you know yourself and where and how you envision yourself to be. Your counselor will definitely encourage you to openly discuss your own respective faiths with each other and how it will factor in your marriage and family life in the years to come.
We understand that everyone has different beliefs. Nevertheless, we welcome and support anyone of any religious background and offer helpful ways to create a good foundation for the kind of marriage you and your partner want.
Things to Expect in Premarital Christian Counseling
Every Christian counselor at Culver City offers different kinds of approaches but always with the end goal that it will benefit you and your partner’s situation. Some counselors have a specific program that they follow while other counselors employ that of a couples counseling session. Some choose to assess first you and your partner then the dynamics of your relationship so that the method they will employ is more suited to you. All kinds of methods will prepare you for the married life.
The usual premarital counseling methods employed are as follows:
- Psychodynamic counseling: It aims to address family issues as well as other issues that affect your relationship
- Cognitive behavioral counseling: It aims to help fix communication problems and unhealthy patterns of behavior
- Solution-focused therapy: This focuses on creating goals and on ways to get through future trials.
- Emotionally focused therapy: The aim here is to help couples manage stressors and negative emotional reactions that happen within the relationship
Your Christian counselor will converse with you and your partner in a warm, safe environment where both of you will be able to express your thoughts and feelings without fear of judgment, confident that you will be able to work things out constructively and have hope for a brighter future together.
Premarital Christian Counseling for Blended Families
Some situations are special wherein there are other parties involved or there is a deeper history from each side that needs to be dealt with. For example, one partner can come from a previously troubled relationship and now that they have found a new love, everything seems hopeful and feels like a blessing. They can have the misconception that because they feel or think that they have learned so much already from their previous relationship, they won’t ever repeat the same mistakes again with the new one.
Another misconception is that if they already have children from a previous relationship, they feel or think that they can be better parents the second time around. While you may have the best intentions, often times it just does not turn out how you envisioned it. There are new challenges inherent to a blended family and this may be overwhelming for you. When you thought you are already prepared for it, you find out that you aren’t.
Premarital counseling helps you and your partner get ready for this unique situation and lessens your chance of a divorce(which is about 67% for those in second marriages).
Once you have already considered premarital Christian Counseling for Blended Families, you can then expect the following:
- Have more realistic expectations and goals for your new marriage and family life.
- Identify and understand what made your previous marriage break apart.
- Know the dynamics of a blended family.
- Have better communication and problem – solving skills.
- Openly talk about relationships from the past especially with the parents of your children from your previous relationship.
- Get over the pain from your failed relationships.
- Discover what your partner’s needs and expectations are.
- Openly discuss how to parent the biological and stepchildren.
A healthy happy and loving marriage and blended family life are possible but require a lot of work. Culver Premarital Christian Counseling will definitely help you prepare for being in a blended family so that you and your partner and family can stay together and live happy and harmonious lives.